Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Virtual Book Tour: The Reunion by A.A. Pencil




Date Published: 11/12/2013
Mystery/Thriller

C. Moore Catholic High School's 10-year reunion was organized as many reunions are - to reminisce, to see who had made a success of their lives, and in truth, to gossip on who had not.  But this party in the secluded, 1890's mansion once owned by a long dead, paranoid WWII Veteran, was to become anything but typical.  

After a horrible accident within the mansion, the alumni realize they are locked in and fighting for their lives.  Instantly, tempers rise and fingers are pointed as the number of living alumni begins to rapidly decrease.  Theories range from there being a murderer in the midst to the mansion possibly being haunted by the previous owner's ghost. 

Who or what is responsible and will anyone make it out alive?  

Find out for yourself in this combination of a mystery and psychological thriller, with a twisted ending!

My Review:  
★★★★☆

Wow! What a ride! This book was one pulse pounding twist after the other. I never knew what was going to happen next. 

The first chapter seemed a little clunky to me. It took me a little while to get into the book. By the second chapter I was hooked! I couldn't put it down. The story started off with a bunch of people that had went to school together showing up at a reunion at a house out in the country. The first chapter dealt with telling of their arrival and interaction with each other upon arriving. The author tried to tell a little back story on each character as they arrived. I appreciated knowing about each one, but it seemed like it didn't flow really well.

The next chapter is where everything started to get strange, in a good way. I learned to absolutely hate a couple of the characters. That in itself shows that the writing in this story is terrific. To get someone to have such strong feelings for fictional characters is a sign of a great writer in my opinion. I have read several books where I didn't really care about most of the characters. In this book I felt something for each one of the characters. It was wonderful! I felt anger and annoyance, compassion and understanding, worry and anxiety, and a lot more emotions while reading this story. 

I don't want to get too into the actual story, as I hate giving away surprises. There is a body or two that shows up unexpectedly and everyone just goes haywire. It made me think of someone picking up an antfarm and shaking it. Everyone was running around, not knowing what to do or where to go. No one knew who to trust. Things just kept happening that seemed unexplainable. 

I really enjoyed that there was a mix of beliefs amongst the characters. It made for a more interesting story line. Every character had a totally different type of background. Everyone had a history with everyone else in the house. I was left clueless through most of the book as to what was really happening and who or what might be behind it. 

I totally recommend this book to anyone that likes a good mystery, horror, or just well written story. There are some graphic scenes so I would not recommend this for younger ages. Adults and mature upper teens would be the best audience for this book.


A.A. Pencil

A. A. Pencil works part time as a school nurse at an all-boys Catholic school in New York City. As a Lupus survivor, she uses writing as a significant part of her therapy and you will see influences from classical writers such as Agatha Christie and Edgar Alan Poe in her work.  When not working or writing, she enjoys cooking, shopping and walking. She has sponsored a child in Mexico for over three years with a children's organization. She currently lives in a borough of New York City with her extended family who are her greatest supporters.

Website:  www.AAPencil.com

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/BeneathTheTrapDoor

BUY LINKS

Amazon: http://amzn.to/1cP7SO4 

Kobo: http://bit.ly/1bLdfcg 

Nook: http://bit.ly/1cwUsBp

iBooks: http://bit.ly/17G87n9


1 comment:

  1. I cannot thank you enough for that review, Amanda! I appreciate the compliments and I loved that you were able to point out my weaknesses. This will greatly help me in future writing. I needed this! Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It is very important to me. Know that while I might not reply directly to your comment every time, I certainly read it and appreciate it.